During the week breakfast is normally a rushed affair – a quick bowl of oats, a smoothie or an egg of sorts. However, when the weekend comes I like to take my time over breakfast. It becomes a real leisurely affair.I enjoy the process of making a great breakfast on the weekend (though normally it is closer to bunch) – no rushing to work or gulping down a cup of coffee. Doug and I often freshly squeeze some orange juice and if the weather is good we sit out side in the morning sun. On Sundays we often make Doug’s famous crumpets or pancakes.
A new combination that I discovered recently is corn and eggs. I know it does sound a bit strange, but they go so well together. Sweet corn scrambled eggs has been a weekday breakfast favourite. I decided to mix things up a bit on Saturday and make a sweet corn salsa, served with a fried egg and a toasted baguette.
The sweet corn salsa has a bit a chilli for heat, the sweet corn and juicy tomatoes. I topped the fried egg with a few shavings are cheese (I would recommend a good mature cheddar or, my new personal favourite, Smoked Stanford).
Sweet Corn Salsa and a Fried Egg
- 1 cooked sweet corn, corn sliced off the cob
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- Small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 baguettes, sliced in half (I used a mini baguette)
- 2 large free-range eggs
- A few shavings of cheese (mature cheddar or anything you prefer)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tsp Olive oil
- Radishes, thinly sliced to serve (optional)
- Mike the corn, jalapeño, tomatoes, parsley, lemon and a olive oil in a bowl and season to taste
- Toast and butter the baguettes
- In a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, add a small amount of butter
- When the butter is melt, crack in the two eggs and fry to your liking
- Serve the eggs on the toasted baguettes (season to taste) and top with the cheese and radishes with a helping of the corn salsa