Now that winter has officially arrived, tea season is in full swing. Everyone has their tea preferences. I love strong tea, with a dash of milk and absolutely no sugar! Unless its chai or green tea, then it has to be black and strong.
In terms of making tea, number 1 choice is tea in a teapot on a tray with tea cups, saucers and milk in a milk jug. But that is a weekend thing. During the week, when I want a quick cuppa, then the tea bag goes in the cup first, followed by hot water. The tea needs to brew for a bit before the milk is added. Adding cold milk to a teabag before the water is just not on!
Most people love a sweet accompaniment to tea – a rusk or a biscuit or something along those lines. Of course, most biscuits are full of sugar and butter and refined carbs like white flour. I found these delicious and healthy biscuits in the Deliciously Ella cookbook. They are chocolatey, nutty and just the right amount of sweetness.
Honestly, there are one of my favourite biscuits to make and they are super super easy! I have experimented with the recipe a bit. If you want bit chunks of dates, just roughly chop then add to the mixture. Otherwise soak the dates in hot water until super soft. The soft dates will completely blend in with the other ingredients. Both ways are delicious. If the dates are just roughly chopped, you may need to add a dash more water or coconut oil.
Date and Cocoa Biscuits
Adapted from Deliciously Ella
Makes +- 21 biscuits
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup of nutty wheat flour
- 1/3 maple syrup (to your taste)
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 heaped Tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dates (either cut up into small pieces or soak in hot water for 10 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Add the almonds and hazelnuts to a blender and blend until fine
- Add all the other ingredients to the blender and blend until mixed thoroughly and the dough is sticky
- Make balls (about 1 heaped Tbsp) of the dough and place on an oiled tray
- Press the balls down with a fork and bake in the oven for 20 minutes