A Caprese salad is honestly one of my best things to eat, combing some of my favourite ingredients, flavours and cuisine. Tomato and basil are obviously a classic combination and, unless you are a vegan, I doubt there is a person in the world who doesn’t like mozzarella. When I say mozzarella, I mean proper buffalo mozzarella in the whey, not that hard, tasteless stuff that comes in block like cheddar from a supermarket.
In an attempt to retain to last vestiges of summer and coax the warm weather back to Cape Town (it worked a bit because this weekend was a stunner!), I changed up the traditional caprese salad recipe.
Even though the recipe is called Tomato and Caper Salad, the key to this recipe is good quality olive oil as this forms the basis of the dressing. The cheap stuff will add a bitter after taste and knocks it out of balance. In addition, I added salty capers and some toasted pumpkin seeds for some crunch. The pumpkin seeds nearly didn’t make it to the salad as they are so more-ish once toasted. Watch this space for a future toasted pumpkin seed snack!
The dressing a pretty simple – a mixture of olive olive, honey, lemon juice and some paprika for a bit of spice.
Tomato and Caper Salad
Serves 2 as a side salad
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley and basil
- 2 Tbsp of small capers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of toasted pumpkin seeds (when they are almost ready they will start popping and jumping around the pan)
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 Tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to season
- Combine the olive oil honey, lemon and paprika together into a dressing and season with some salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix the tomatoes, herbs and capers
- Pour over the dressing and mix well (taste to check the seasoning and add more if necessary)
- Let the salad marinate in the dressing until you plan on serving/eating it, then tear the mozzarella over the top and spinkle with the pumpkin seeds
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and serve