People often ask where I get my ideas, recipes and general inspiration to cook different meals all time. Obviously recipes books play a huge part (and I have a considerable collection of recipe books) and food magazines are also great (I love the Woolworths Taste Magazine). Pinterest, however, is a never-ending gallery of food inspiration. I often just scroll through until I see something that catches my eye. This is how today’s recipe came into being.
I was scrolling through Pinterest and this picture of an oozey, poached egg on a delicious looking fritter appeared between an inspirational quote and gym routine. The real thing turned out even better than I expected. A protein-packed quinoa fritter, with crispy edges and soft on the inside. I added turmeric for a bit of spice (and its AMAZING health benefits) and topped the hot fritter with some baby spinach before adding a perfectly cooked poached egg.
Just add a dash of Sriracha and you have the perfect, protein-rich breakfast, lunch or dinner. The best part is that if you have your quinoa cooked already this meal can be on the table in less than 20 minutes!
Quinoa Fritters with a Poached Egg
Makes 6 fritters – I served 2 fritters per person with 1 poached egg but you can do it as you please. The fritters are also great cold the next day served with a green salad.
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa (I used a mixture of white and red quinoa)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped chives and parsley
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 cup of Panko crumbs (you can use normal bread crumbs as well)
- Handful of baby spinach
- Olive oil
- Sriracha (optional)
- To make the fritters, combine the first 7 ingredients and season.
- Form the mixture into 6 even fritters
- Place a frying pan on medium heat and drizzle in the olive oil
- Fry the fritters for a few minutes on each side (you will probably have to do this in batches) until crispy on the outside and warmed all the way through.
- Place the fritter on a plate, top with some spinach and a poached egg and drizzle some Sriracha over the top.