Pinch of Salt is now back! After a hiatus due to the fact that I ran out of space on the free version of WordPress and then the exchange rate rocketed up to over R16 to the dollar, things have not been posted. But now I am back with lots of good food to come!
I got this amazing new cookbook for my birthday, In the Mood for Healthy Mood. It has such delicious recipes, with lots of vegetables! The first thing, I tried out the book was this poached chicken soup.
A whole chicken is poached in water with vegetables, which produces this beautiful, subtle chicken broth. The chicken literally falls off the bone once it has finished cooking. The meat will be tender and moist and full of flavour! Lemon and a tiny bit of creme fraiche is added, adding a lovely tanginess to the broth. Some delicious greens are added just at the end to bring some colour to the meal.
This is such a perfect summer soup. Although it is served hot, it is a light and fresh meal. And, it is all made in one pot, so less mess and cleaning!
Poached Chicken Broth with Spring Greens
Adapted from In the Mood for Healthy Food
Serves 4-6 people
- About a 1 kg chicken
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 leeks, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks of celery with leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tsp salt
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- Small handful of mint, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 80g baby spinach
- 4 Tbsp creme fraiche
- 1/2 lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Put a large pan on high heat and add the chicken, carrots, leeks, celery, garlic, bay leaves and salt
- Cover with about 10 cups of water (or until the chicken is covered)
- Bring the water to the boil (scrapping off any residue that rises to the surface)
- When it reaches a boil, turn down to a medium head and loosely cover
- Cook for about 2 hours
- When cooked, removed the chicken from the poaching liquid
- Strain out the vegetables and return the poaching liquid to the pot
- Reduce the liquid to about 3 cups (750 Ml)
- In the meantime, put the chicken off bone
- When the broth has reduced add the spinach and cook to soft
- Add the peas, spring onion and chicken and cook until the peas are ready
- Lastly stir in the creme fruit, lemon zest and herbs
- Season to your tasting and serve.