I attempted to make gnocchi two weekends ago with the help and patience of Doug. I love gnocchi! Beautiful soft, pillows of joy either pan fried or coated in a slow cooked ragu or light sauce. I am salivating just thinking about it! I have always wanted to make gnocchi so I gave it ago.
The basic recipe for gnocchi is pretty simple: potato, egg, flour, salt, but to make it perfectly it probably will take some practice. For a first go, the gnocchi didn’t turn out too bad. They weren’t 100% soft and fluffy and because I don’t have a potato ricer it wasn’t quite as smooth as I would like. But it tasted like gnocchi and definitely wasn’t heavy and stodgy! I am going to practice making gnocchi and try out some different potato (the type of potato makes a big difference apparently and you must stay away from waxy potatoes!). So I will keep you guys updated on the gnocchi-making process!
The recipe I am posting today has nothing to do with gnocchi or Italian food at all! They are delicious, semi-healthy Chocolate, Chocolate and Banana muffins. As per usual, I reduced the sugar, chocolate and eliminated the vegetable oil and replaced it with apple sauce. These muffins taste the best just as they come out the oven and the chocolate bits are melted and delicious! But they freeze well. Just defrost and eat as is, or toast like I do.
Chocolate, Coconut and Banana Muffins
Adapted from Donna Hay, June/July 2015
- 2.5 cups self-raising flour
- 3 Tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 desiccated coconut
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 bananas)
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Place the flour, cocoa, powder, sugar and coconut in a bowl and combine
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, vanilla, coconut milk, apple sauce, bananas and chocolate
- Add there wet mixture to the dry mixture, and use a knife to mix until just combined
- Spoon into a greased muffin tin and cook for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes before removing from the tin