As I have mentioned previously, Doug and I went through a taco phase. Out of all the tacos I made these Popcorn Prawn tacos were a favourite. My brothers polished off what I made and begged me to make another batch. I obliged and that batch was scoffed up just as quickly. This is a real winner.
The prawns are deliciously sweet with a lovely crispy outside. I added a bit of cayenne pepper to the batter to add a bit of spice! YUM!! It is so difficult not to eat the prawns as they come out of the frier, when they are supper hot and crunchy.
I originally made these to be served with a lime and coriander mayo but the chimichurri sauce I made for steak tacos actually went much better with the prawns. The chimichurri balances out the richness of the fried prawns by adding freshness to the tacos.
I serve these tacos with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, jalapeños, fresh coriander, making the perfect combination.
Popcorn Prawn Tacos
- 400g prawns, deshelled and deveined and cut into small 3/4
- 1.5 cup cake flour
- 1 heaped dessert spoon corn flour
- 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 cup sunflower oil
- 4-8 soft tacos/flour tortillas (depending on size)
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- small handful of mint and parsley, finely chopped
- large handful coriander, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp red vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Pour the oil in a pot (at between a 1/2 – 2/3 full) and put the heat on high heat
- In a bowl mix the flour, cayenne pepper and seasoning in a bowl
- In another bowl add the milk
- Dunk the prawns in the milk then in the flour until evenly covered
- When the oil is hot (add a piece of bread and if it sizzles and starts to brown, it is ready!)
- Add the prawns, a few at a time, and cook for 3 minutes or until starting the brown
- Put cooked prawns in a bowl with some paper towel to absorb the excess oil and cook the rest of the prawns
- To make the chimichurri, mix all the ingredients in a bowl
- Serve the tacos with the prawns, chimichurri with any accompaniments (I suggest guacamole, salsa, jalapeños, sour cream and coriander)