When most people think of salad they think hot summer days, lettuce, refreshing cucumber, nothing hot or cooked and anything else along those lines. But I think there is a whole class of salads that can fit into the winter category and can make the perfect side or even meal during those cold winter months.
Roast butternut is one of my favourite foods ever. The butternut goes deliciously sweet and caramelises beautifully in the oven so the salad starts on a high note. Add a bit of spicy chorizo, some crumbled feta, fresh basil and drizzle over a light lemon dressing and voila, you are done.
Feel free to leave out the chorizo if you are vegetarian but it does add a delicious salty and spicy component to the dish. It is so easy to make and has so few ingredients, most of which you probably have already in the fridge (apart from may be the chorizo). Free free to add rocket and/or baby spinach, it will only make the salad better!
Winter Roast Butternut Salad with Lemon Dressing
Serves 2-4 (depending on whether you are making a side or using it as a main meal)
- 500g butternut, cubed
- 125g chorizo, thinly sliced
- 75g feta
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- small handful basil
- Optional (but highly recommended): handful of baby spinach or rocket
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Place the butternut on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season
- Roast in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until soft and caramelised (has some gnarly brown crispy bits on the edge)
- While the butternut is roasting, place the chorizo in a hot pan and cook for 3-4 minutes (until crispy)
- Remove from the pan, and place in a bowl until need but retain the chorizo oil
- Put the pan back on the high heat and add the tomatoes, cooking for 3 minutes (until just soft)
- To making the dressing add all the ingredients into a small bowl and mix until combined
- To construct the salad place the roast butternut on a large plate/bowl, top with tomatoes, crumble the feta over the top and add the basil and rocket/spinach.
- Drizzle over the dressing just before serving