When the sun is out on the weekend, the beers get cracked, ice gets popped into the Gin and tonics and the braai comes out. What is better than a lamb chop, delicious steak or chicken on the braai, with that char-grilled smokey flavour.
But among the braaied meat and baked potato, chips and dip I always crave a bit of green and a bit of fresh salad on the side. And of course, there some occasional (vert rare) vegetarians at a braai and they need to eat too.
This Courgette Carpaccio is a perfect side for a braai. The thinly sliced courgettes can even been grilled on the braai to give those love char-grill lines and smokey flavour. The ‘carpaccio’ is topped with toasty pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, tangy rocket, salt parmesan and a fresh squeeze of lemon. Even my meat loving brothers tucked into this salad with gusto.
- 350 g courgette, thinly sliced (It is best to use a mandolin but watch out for your fingers)
- 7-8 sundried tomatoes (in an oil olive or vinaigrette), sliced
- 30g pinenuts, toasted
- handful of rocket
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 20-30g parmesan shavings
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Put a griddle pan on high heat
- Toss the courgettes in a drizzle of olive oil and season
- Grill the courgettes on the griddle pan (or braai) for a few minutes (+- 3minutes)
- Place the courgettes spread out on a serving platter, add the sundried tomatoes, rocket, pine nuts and parmesan shavings
- Just before serving drizzle over a bit of the sundried tomato oil/vinaigrette, a drizzle of olive oil and the lemon juice
- Season and enjoy!