It’s been a while since I have posted a recipe. The last 3 weeks have been crazy! I have been to France and back and had the best time ever! Check out my Paris post of the best places I ate at. After France I went up to the bush for a week to do some last minute field work for my thesis.
Though I have to admit, it wasn’t all work and no play. Doug and I relaxed a lot and caught up on some books and generally laziness. But now I am back in Cape Town, ready to finish my thesis and get back into cooking, which I have missed.
This is a great salad which I got from the latest Taste Magazine. Literally the entirely magazine is made up of things I want to eat and cook and this month they focus on some of my favourite ingredients: basil, cucumber, figs and coconut milk! This cucumber salad really caught my eye though. It looked and sound fresh. vibrant and summery and it tasted just like that as well. It is also so easy and quick to make and the ingredients give up such a bang of flavour. I really can’t say enough about it. I used it as a side but if you had some grilled chicken or fish it would make a great dinner and lunch.
Cucumber Salad with Asian Dressing
Adapted from the Woolworths Taste Magazine, March 2015
Serves 2 (I halved the recipe, so just double if you want to serve more people)
- 1/2 english cucumber, julienne
- 50g thinly sliced red onions (about 1/4 red onion)
- 50g toasted peanuts, slightly crushed
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Place the cucumber, red onions and avocado on a plate, add the coriander and drizzle with lemon juice
- Sprinkle over the peanuts
- To make the dressing mix all the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved
Drizzle over the dressing just before serving