While I am tearing up the slopes in the French Alps, I have planned a great post for you guys. Wendy’s Coconut Cake is an absolute treat! Wendy is a good friend of mines mom and he used to bring one back after the university holidays.
Unfortunately for him, he landed up sharing the cake with me and the girls I lived with every time and although I have never met his mom, this cake is enough to know that she is pretty awesome.
I am a coconut junkie and this cake is pure coconut heaven. The cake has coconut and sugar crust which you cut through into the soft, light cake below. I didn’t change the recipe much from the original but I decided to make it even more coconutty by replacing the milk with coconut cream. YUM! To top it off, this cake is so easy to make and for a baking novice like me, it is a great cake to just whip out in no time without much hassle.
Wendy’s Coconut Cake
Makes 8 slices
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 25 Ml cake flour
- 90g butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 Tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Butter a 20cm round cake tin
- Mixed the topping ingredients together and line the mixture over the base of the tin
- For the cake, cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl
- Sift in the dry ingredients and add the vanilla and coconut cream
- Mix to create a soft-dropping dough
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Let it cool for 5 minutes then turn out the tin